4.25.2012

projects great and small


We are busy with all kinds of exciting projects around here...some small ones and one pretty big one: Once again we find ourselves with a backyard that is a big muddy mess. It's littered with shovels and wheel barrels, mountains of dirt, and several thousand pounds of rock, sand and flagstone.  It's going to be amazing...eventually. 

In other news, after talking about brewing kombucha for the last couple of years...I'm actually doing it!  I was stuck for some time not knowing how to get my hands on a good SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) but after reading about it on the blog Bonsai Aphrodite I made my own and have my first batch of kombucha brewing at this very moment.  So far I'm giving this project very high marks in satisfaction and I think my scoby is just the prettiest little scoby in town. 


And finally the most mundane project I've probably ever posted here on this blog...I painted my radiator!! I know this doesn't sound like much but several years ago I started scraping paint off our dining room radiator and never finished it.  I really don't know what my problem was but I'll use the fact that the dining room was my "studio" and it was always full of junk and it just never got done.  After reading Alison's post on her lovely blog Deuce Cities Henhouse about painting her radiator I was finally inspired to do it.  I think it was the part that read "So, don’t be scurred! Don’t be a wussy! You can do it!" that really got me.  So now, no more half-scraped, maroon radiator (yeah, the previous owners of our house painted the radiator and the walls and the baseboards in the dining room MAROON.).  Instead its just a white radiator no one will ever notice.  Thanks, Alison!

4 comments:

benji said...

I noticed that radiator RIGHT AWAY. Thanks again!

Alison said...

Yeah! That is awesome! At first I was all, "hey posting about your radiator is not mundane", and then I guess I inspired it. Awh Shucks.

Your backyard is looking so cool! Honestly, it doesn't look like that much of a mess. I love that blue siding.

I've been watching your pinterst "backyard and plants" board, concentrated gardeny inspiration for me.

sewa elf said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Giselle said...

Looks great--all of it. Mark is very excited about your mother (kombucha mother). As for mundane, I just posted something about organizing our secret closet that still looks disorganized. Oh well!