1.07.2012

spun cotton




Boy oh boy have I been scarce around here lately.  The holidays seem to have sent me into temporary hermit mode at least as far as this blog goes but I did want to share some projects and highlights from the holidays with you.  We made a lot of our presents again this year.  My husband's homemade bitters totally stole the show but these worked out pretty well too:

This year I wanted to find something new and fun and having nothing to do with sewing.  I tried my hand at spun cotton ornaments using two video tutorials I found on Martha Stewart This one for spun cotton Easter bunny decorations and this one for spun cotton mushroom clip ornaments.  I found both the tutorials to be easy to follow and I had a lot of fun trying a new medium.  I found the animals to be a little trickier than the mushrooms which were relatively simple.  I can tell spun cotton is something that definitely takes some time and practice to get good at but even though mine were kind of wonky, I liked how they turned out.  I usually tend to gravitate towards work that is really detail oriented so these were refreshing in that I was forced to embrace a looser less "perfect" result.

I did a few things differently than the way they were done in the tutorials.  For the mushrooms I opted for hanging them instead of using clips as I'm not a big fan of clip ornaments (they always seem to flop over if they have any weight or bulk at all) and instead of using glitter I used some beautiful vintage mica flakes found here for a slightly more subtle sparkly effect.  I also added little vintage glass beads and paper flags.

2 comments:

Hopscotch said...

!!!

These are all super fabulous!!!!

Happy New Year to you! :)

Sara said...

They are beautiful! Thanks for the link and Happy New Year! I can't wait to see your new studio.