7.19.2011

about renegade

Well I've been back from San Francisco for just about a week now...and I still haven't completely unpacked.  Why should I?  It will just add to an already huge amount of laundry that need to be done!  Thank you so much to those of you who stopped by my Etsy shop on Friday and in the last few days.  I'm so happy so many toys have found homes.  There are still a hand full of really good ones in the shop and they will be the last for a little while.  Before I went to Renegade I was so frazzled trying to make so much work and at the same time fulfill all my other obligations.  I promised myself and my family I would take a nice big break from it all for the rest of the summer.

Okay, so about Renegade:  In my ragged state just before we left for San Francisco I was cursing myself (and just cursing a lot in general) for ever taking on so much and was convinced it wouldn't be work all the time, money and effort I put into it.  But I was completely wrong.  Just getting the opportunity to meet so many kind, enthusiastic, talented people made it totally worthwhile.  I've been realizing that in the past year or so that I've been doing so much work in my house that I've become really kind of isolated.  This sale was such a good reminder to me that I actually do like meeting people and talking to them.  As far a selling toys goes I did better than I thought I might and of course that makes the experience even more of a positive one.

One of the best parts about doing the fair was meeting other vendors.  I met so many kind supportive people and there was some really beautiful work there too.  My only regret was that I didn't have nearly enough time to look around at other peoples work as I was oftentimes at my own booth by myself.  I want to show you some of the lovely things I saw but I'll save that for later posts.  For now I'm going to put some of my favorites on my blog list so you can visit them yourselves. 

As usual, I wouldn't have been able to do any of this if I didn't have such an amazing family.  They are just the best.  I took very few pictures at the fair.  The ones above are from the beginning of the second day (I think I was simply too shaky and nervous to take pictures the first morning).  As you can see I have just about the cutest booth helper a lady could ask for.  In fact I was notified by the organizers that I won the Cutest Kids Award that weekend.  Sure, they probably say that to all the moms...but I'll take it!

7 comments:

kristin said...

way to go Erika! I'm glad to know it was such a rewarding experience for you. i hope you do take that much deserved break and enjoy your summer...really...it's just too hot to move around in anyway. xx

teddybearswednesday said...

YAY!! SO glad you had a wonderful time! They look gorgeous all lined up and I wish I lived in the US as I would have loved to stop by.
I agree whenever I do markets the meeting of the people is always the most special.
hope you can give yourself a nice big break and holiday with your family. xo

GatoChinchilla said...

Hi!
Really every time I read about the Renegade Fair I feel a desire to go one day .... I have it written on the "things for to do before you die", lol. Well I wanted to say that I see in the pictures a beautiful stand and a lovely seller. To say that your work is wonderful, isn't enough, really congratulations for the dedication and all work, here from afar, can see how it's reflected in your products... its cute little animals. Sorry my english, Google translate helped me ;)

Saludos desde Chile!!!!!

Myko said...

I really enjoyed reading your post Erika! I can relate to the isolated feelings as I often feel like that too working away in my studio. I'm so happy you had a great experience at the Renegade Fair. And they were right, your little helper is indeed very adorable!;)

Ms.Tips said...

your booth looks amazing! I wish I was there. way to go! and keep up your awesome work!! (I love my bear, i mean Emmett's...)

Laura said...

I'm so glad you came because I got to enjoy your lovely work at Renegade SF and buy it...even though my little daughter went for the doll and not the mohair bunny brooch :)! (Maybe you remember us?) My other daughter really loves her bear brooch I bought home! And I'm sure the recipient of the blanket bear will love it if I can just bear to give it away. Hope you have a lovely summer and thank you for working so hard to make beautiful things! Now I have my eyes on that little play rabbit :).

Erika said...

Thank you all for your incredibly sweet comments! I feel very lucky. Laura- I do remember you and your sweet daughter and how happy she was with her doll! I'm so glad the bear was a hit!

xox
Erika