4.13.2011

New American Paintings


These last few weeks have been really busy and exciting with all the hard work and anticipation of the shop update, getting ready for our first trip without our kids and of course I'm still teaching too.  In the midst of all that I got some really exciting news:  My drawings are going to be included in the critically acclaimed periodical New American Paintings!  I'm thrilled but of course also experiencing my default response to great news of this sort...anxiety. I feel like I need to make a bunch of new work to have on hand as I have sold several of my last group of drawings.  

A few years ago when I was a new mom I had sort of a professional crisis.  Painting and drawing had been going pretty well but somehow when I became a mom that work seemed to lose a lot of it's meaning for me.  I was making toys for my son and getting back into sewing little animals and dolls, an interest of mine since I was a child.  I got a lot of joy from toy making and I wanted to do more with craft than just making things for my own kids.  Not wanting to give up on drawing and painting I decided to pursue both my art and my craft in a kind of casual way.  I was still at home with my kids (and still am) and felt like it was a good time for me to explore my options.  I assumed that in time it would become clear to me which direction was best...toy making or art.  That's not really how it has worked out.  Now I feel like I'm a bit overextended in all areas and I'm still not sure what to do.  I'm feeling now like it's time for me to make some drawings. 

THAT SAID I also found out this past week that Fox and Owl has been accepted as a vendor for the Renegade Craft Fair in San Francisco this July!  So I guess what that means is first of all, I've clearly got the luck of the Irish.  Also that it's going to be another busy summer.  This past update will be the last big group of toys in my shop for a while as I finish up some custom work, make pieces for Renegade and do some drawings.

7 comments:

bybido said...

sounds like a lot of great opportunities! congrats on your artwork. i'd love to see more of it here. and your toys...i'm excited i'll get to see them in person (in SF)! maybe i'll bring a bear home with me :)

~ Faith said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I just graduated with a BFA last June, AND became a mother this past December! My daughter is still very young and I was just getting the feel for my art, but now it feels sidetracked with taking care of her. You're an inspiration for sure, I only hope I become as successful someday (probably not for a while).

~F

benji said...

I don't think anything you're doing is suffering from being overextended. Your "fine art" is the best it's ever been, and your "craft" is so awesome, and getting better and better all the time. Plus, you're a great mom and wife. Keep up the terrific work!

Ms.Tips said...

congratulations on the craft show!!
I went through the same thing as you did. It is very hard to balance being a wife, a mom, and still be true to being who you are and what do you want to do. I think you are doing a fantastic job! Keep doing whatever makes you happy, because 'happy wife/mom= happy family. :)

Coyote said...

Erika! So many wonderful things happening at once! I am sooo happy you are coming to sf this summer! xoxo

Erika said...

Thank you friends and fellow artists!

Sara said...

congrats Erika! and I'm excited you are coming to SF, I would love to see your work in peson too!