3.20.2011

this weekend: thrift store treasures


Easter is in full effect at my favorite thrift store right now and the kids and I picked up these treasures yesterday.  I managed to sneak a few things into the cart for Easter baskets too. With Easter in particular it feels a bit silly to me to keep up the ruse but the kids are always so delighted to find their baskets and hunt for eggs.  My five year old is very analytical and I know he kind of knows the score but he wants to believe.  Yesterday he asked me if the Easter Rabbit eats human food.  He speculated that because he behaves like a human (putting together Easter baskets and hiding them for children) he probably eats food like a human does too.  So pretty much he was asking me if the Easter Rabbit was really a human right?  My answer to these types of questions about implausible holiday characters  is usually just "Hmmmm, I don't know kiddo."  which is good enough because he doesn't really want to know the answer anyway.

2 comments:

mitzi said...

You know, my almost-10 year old still believes in the naughty leprechaun who plastered shamrock clings all over the house and wilted the clover in the flower bed (I blame round-up!). The way I see it, she can believe forever as long as it brings her delight. Yes, she kind of knows it's me, but the fact that she's willing to keep up the ruse just for fun makes me believe that the innocence of childhood really is in our hands. You're right, they don't want to know, they just want the brilliant pleasure that goes with Easter morning discoveries. After all, it's a day of celebration and joy!
BTW, I am totally coveting that egg cup!

Anonymous said...

hey I love your blog. don't think I've written before... don't have a blog myself and always fear to sound like some creepy lurker BUT I do want to share that although I don't remember ever believing in Santa I did believe in the Bunny! I worried about the bunny a bit as I had figured that he was bunny size and the whole basket delivery thing seemed a dangerous undertaking for a rabbit (dogs! foxes!). Maybe a human-food eating (human size?) Easter Bunny would fare better...