5.18.2010

good days

We had a string of really cold wet days here but last Friday the sun started shining again and we have been enjoying the most glorious weather ever since. Friday was also an exciting day as I was delighted to have been asked to join an amazing group of women for my first ever blogger meet-up! Now this is something I would normally shy away from having some rather hermit-like tendencies, but I could not refuse an invitation by one of my favorite artists/doll makers Mimi Kirchner. Mimi's work is so inspiring, I'm especially fond of her tattooed circus men...someday I must have one! I truly enjoyed talking art, crafts, thrifting and kids with Mimi, Kristin, Susan and Susan's daughter Hannah. Many thanks to Kristin for hosting us all at her lovely home.

Once again plants continue to bloom like crazy in the garden, most notably the tree peonies which are ridiculously huge and beautiful. I brought just one of the flowers inside and it fills the room with the sweetest and also kind of peculiar fragrance. Just look at the size of it!


I also got my hands on a great book Made with Passion. It's filled with images of American Folk Art from an exhibition of the Hemphill collection at the the National Museum of American Art. Fuel for my Art Fire.



And my own work for my upcoming exhibition continues to come along although at a rather painfully slow pace!

(detail of untitled and unfinished work)

Here's to more sun-filled days, stimulating conversation, good reads and hopefully even more productive days!

5 comments:

LittlePerson said...

What a lovely meeting ~~

Giselle said...

We grew up with the same pot that you have to the right of the peony...but ours was yellow. The lid is the most perfect lid for making a grilled cheese sandwich perfectly melty! I love that you have it!

mimi k said...

I'm so glad that we were able to meet up. Next time- thrifting and show and tell :-)

kristin said...

it was so lovely to meet you erika! i'm so happy you were able to come over...we'll have to do it again soon...but i'm sure we'll be running into eachother at arc!

susan m hinckley said...

So absolutely lovely to meet you, Erika! I'm glad I returned from my vacation in time to see this post. "Made With Passion" is one of my favorite books ever and lives in a prominent location on my bookcase with a giant hand sculpture standing on top of it.

Your work looks amazing and I'd love to see more of it. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon.