5.28.2010

another play rabbit





This was the prototype for the play rabbit I showed you a while back. This version has old shoe button eyes which are my favorites. The newer version has safety eyes which are also super cute and are more practical from a toy safety perspective I guess.

Jude swallowed a button once. It was not from a toy but just one he found around the house. It came out without event. I've often wondered how this button eye thing with toys got to be such a big deal. I mean kids have buttons on their clothes, and the world is full of little things kids can put in their mouths (rocks?) right?

Have you been to the Handmade Toy Alliance blog/ website? it's a good place to go to get the latest news about the CPSIA (Consumer Product safety Improvement Act) which sounds like a good thing but is really very problematic.

8 comments:

Wonderland said...

I love it!

Soph said...

Awww he is soo cute!! I love it too! :D

lili est folle said...

ohh! he's soo cute!! i love it!!

teddybearswednesday said...

he's just beautiful Erika! I love your play rabbits.
I've often wondered the same thing about the button eyes myself.
I have a couple of very old very worn old bears 100+ years who've been soo sucked and loved and basically have nothing left but their boot button eyes. they've stayed while everything else is gone, so I do question the safety eye thing often.xo

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

Beautiful bunny and you are so right about the safety issue; never thought of it like that before. Hey! I live in France and to be able to sell your house now you have to have a certificate saying if there is any asbestos( great to know as a real killer), and if there is any lead based paint;I asked how this could be problematic and the expert explained it was in case a little one decided to lick the door or window frame! I therefore had to strip and repaint all my lovely shabby chic windows and frames to facilitate the sale. A huge undertaking! The new owners then ripped them all out and put in disgusting PVC windows aaargh... Love your blog, please feel free to visit me and mine. A plus Linda x

mimi k said...

I love the "pants" on this guy- so cute! And, I feel the same way about buttons- and have made the same argument about them being on clothing, no problem. It is quite ridiculous.

handmade romance said...

this guy is so cute. gorgeous colours.
enjoy the summer holidays with your boy. seems so strange to say as we are heading in to winter and its so wet here today.

Kit Chase said...

It makes me wonder how all the old timers made it to 90+ years, living with all the lead paint, and toys with BUTTON eyes they had around back then...How in the world did they make it without the CPSIA?

Your little bear is so cute, with safety eyes or buttons!