3.07.2010

from the beginning

Hey guess what...One year ago today was my first blog post. It amazing to think of all that has happened in a year. I started this blog as a way to record the things I make and do. As a stay at home mom (perhaps work at home mom is a more accurate title) it's not always easy to quantify your accomplishments. So that's why I started it and it has been really good for me in that regard. As I look over the things I've made and the fun stuff I've done with my kids over the past year I feel proud.

This year I've found new passions and deepened my commitment to making things. I've also gotten better at the business part of being an artist/crafts person but I have much much more to learn. As my work changes and evolves my focus and my practice may shift from drawing and painting to toy making back to drawing or to something totally new...who knows. I've tried to make this little blog of mine an unpretentious and friendly place to come and share in the work I do and the things that inspire me. I also try to make it an honest portrayal of who I am and how I spend my days. I can't do it all all of the time. if I get some work done, get outside for a bit with the kids, make some good food and only make a handful of minor parenting mistakes in a day that is a pretty good day for me. Sometimes I look at a blog or a story in a magazine about some perfect stylish family who achieves perfect balance between work and family has a perfect house and a casual easy approach to parenting. They seem to have it all... Surely they never get mad at their kids or have an attack of insecurity or career panic. It's not easy but I have to remind myself that it's just not real. My goals for the next year are to keep trying to be a real person here on this blog, keep making things I love to make, and keep trying to be a better mom to my kids, wife to my husband, friend to my friends...and and and...

Thank you for visiting me here this past year. Your support (both the quiet ones and the comment leavers) means a lot to me.

9 comments:

amanda r said...

I love your blog, and its been a pleasure to share glimpses of your life through your posts. best to you in another year, amanda r

Sam said...

Me too! I agree with you wholeheartedly, about the blogs which seem a bit too good to be true....xxx

Alison said...

congrats! you are really doing an amazing job with this bog - thank you:)
xxoo

teddybearswednesday said...

what a wonderful post. I have only recently starting reading you blog but I love it! I'm a bear maker too, so I enjoy that part of it too.
I look forward to another year from you. thanks

mimi k said...

Happy First blog birthday!

Colzoz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Daniels said...

erika, this is a beautiful blog, because you are so open and honest. thank you for being you. xox
mom

Giselle said...

I love your blog, and love reading it! Congrats on a year's worth of great posts.

Let's get together again soon. I'm in need of more mom/art talk as well as a hand-made eclair from butter.

handmade romance said...

yay congratulations on reaching one year with your beautiful blog. i really enjoy stopping by. it sounds like you have a realistic balance to me. its a hard one the juggling of life and the creating part of our lives. i hope when i have a family, like you i still find the time to create because i sure know now it is a challenge. and i know i should possibly be doing some washing and folding clothes right now instead of commenting here ; )