6.09.2009

a gift


Two gifts actually: the first gift was that Benji took the boys to the park this morning so I had a couple extra hours of blissfully quiet sleep. the second gift was this amazing pine cone they brought back for me.

Last year about this time I was out collecting pine cones and other little bits of nature for a group of drawings I was working on for a show I had with my friend Joe in Milwaukee. I can't believe it's been almost a year since I really made a drawing. Here are a few images of that work:



On a related note, I recently finished a wonderful book by Anne Morrow Lindbergh called Gift from the Sea. It's a memoir with reflections on creativity, family life and a mother's need for solitude. It was written 50 years ago but remains extremely relevant. As a mother and an artist I'm finding it very difficult to give my kids what they need and still have something left at the end of the day to give to my art. Carving out little bits of solitude helps.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Whenever I feel myself feeling superior to anything or anyone, I have to remind myself that really, after all, I am but a pine cone placed upon this earth to spread my seeds.

Meg said...

Oh, and that book looks fantastic. I have just reserved it online from our local library.

Danica said...

Oh my gosh I love your drawings! They are so light and flow-y. That's probably not a word, but that's how they make me feel- love it!